Skip to main content

Teenage factory worker fell to his death after smoking cannabis

  • Tyler Smith, 19, confessed to family about sexual thoughts he tried to suppress with Valium They said they would support him but he remained wracked with guilt
  • Inquest hears he started smoking cannabis aged 15 and went to raves Policeman tried to talk him down from viaduct but he fell to his death 
A teenager fell to his death from a railway viaduct when he started getting 'inappropriate sexual thoughts' after smoking cannabis, an inquest has heard.
Factory worker Tyler Smith posted a Facebook status saying 'I feel death calling me', and started taking Valium in an attempt to suppress what was going through his mind.
When he confessed his secret thoughts to his girlfriend Lucy Roberts and his parents, they expressed support for him and vowed to help him overcome them.
But he later walked on to Stockport Viaduct in Greater Manchester and fell off the edge as a policeman tried to talk him down, causing multiple injuries which led to his death a week later.
 Couple: Tyler Smith, right, confessed 'inappropriate sexual thoughts' to his girlfriend Lucy Roberts, left


Tyler, 19, from Stockport, began smoking cannabis at the age of 15 and took more drugs when he started going to raves, the inquest was told.
His mother Deborah Cooper said: '
When he was OK, his behaviour was very loving. There were no problems or concerns when he wasn't taking drugs or drinking.But when he was down and depressed his behaviour changed. I noticed a few Facebook statuses that he put up and would ask him what was wrong. He would write things like, "I feel death calling me", and he would just tell me that I wouldn't understand.
'I carried on asking him what was wrong and he said, "If I told you I would have to kill myself." Eventually he told me about the inappropriate sexual thoughts. I tried to talk to him about the thoughts but he didn't think there was any help for him.
'Because of those thoughts he would say he didn't want to get old. He told me Valium was the only thing that got rid of the thoughts he was having.'
Support: Tyler's mother Deborah, pictured, said she knew about her son's torment and vowed to help him
Tyler was later admitted to hospital after taking a drug overdose, but was discharged despite telling doctors about his sexual thoughts and Valium use.
His father Kenneth Smith told the inquest in Stockport: 'I knew he was smoking marijuana but I never had any suspicions that he was taking any other drugs. I was never aware of the sexual thoughts he was having up until he went to hospital after taking an overdose.
'When I arrived at the hospital I asked him what's been going on and he was making it out like he had something to tell me. He went into detail about the thoughts he was having.
'I had no prior knowledge so that was quite shocking. I told him I could help him and he said, "I don't think you can, you don't realise how deep it is."
'He asked me how I felt about him now that I knew and I told him I would love him always no matter what.'
Miss Roberts, 18, said: 'I knew he used drugs when I first met him, and it was right to say that he was using a number of other drugs occasionally. It wasn't every day, but at the weekend recreationally. In the last year he stopped taking drugs - not completely though, he was still smoking cannabis.
'I became aware that Tyler was buying Valium just before the accident but now I know that he had been taking it for a few weeks. He confided to me about the inappropriate sexual thoughts he had.
'He had spoken about wanting to self-harm and if we spoke about our future he would say, "Well I won't be here." He was going on about how he didn't want to be here and wanted to take his life.

Upset: Tyler would tell Miss Roberts that he 'won't be here' in the future, the inquest heard
Tribute: Miss Roberts next to a graffiti memorial dedicated to her late boyfriend

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertainment

BREAKING! G-Worldwide Drags Kiss Daniel To Court (Their Reasons Will Surprise You) Nigerian pop star, Anidugbe Oluwatobiloba Daniel, popularly known as Kiss Daniel, has been dragged to court by the management of G-Worldwide Entertainment, for allegedly breaching the seven years artiste management deal he signed with the record label in 2013.

Donna Karan to Step Down at DKI

One of the most important designers in the history of American fashion, Donna Karan, is stepping down as chief designer of Donna Karan International. Karan, 66, plans to devote greater time to her Urban Zen company and foundation, but will remain a close adviser to DKI under a long-term agreement, according to the company. The designer created a modern system of dressing for legions of successful women, while establishing a tremendous rapport with her customers, which continues to this day. Karan cofounded DKI with her late husband Stephan Weiss and Takiyho Inc. in 1984. In 1996, DKI went public on the New York Stock Exchange, and in 2001, LVMH Moët Hennessey Louis Vuitton paid $243 million for all outstanding shares in DKI, plus $400 million for Gabrielle Studio Inc., the licensor of the Donna Karan trademarks. “LVMH and I have made this decision after much soul-searching,” said Karan on Tuesday. “I have arrived at a point in my life where I need to spend more time

Father is stunned to find shocking pictures of his autistic daughter, 9, locked away and crying on the floor taken by school staff

Concerned father asked to see daughter's school file amid safety concerns, he was shocked to find photos of her crying and being punished Family have now released photos and are calling for an investigation School has been in special measures and has now got new management. The father of an autistic girl has told of his horror after he uncovered disturbing pictures of his daughter in a file at her former school. Alan Evans removed daughter Jasmine, now 11, from Tregolls School in Truro, Cornwall two years ago amid concerns about how staff were treating her.He was able to access the school's records and was shocked to find photos of her shut behind a child gate, crying her eyes out and rolling on the floor.  The father of Jasmine Evans, an autistic girl from Lanner, Cornwall, was shocked to find photos of her crying and locked behind a child gate in her school file after he became concerned she was being badly treated Mr Evans, who works as a nurse, has now