Skip to main content

Salma Hayek accuses Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment: He's 'my monster too'

The Oscar-nominated Mexican actress, whose films include Frida and Traffic, went public with her allegations on Wednesday, over two months after the movie honcho was first publicly accused of sexual misconduct in a New York Times piece. She shared her first-person story with the same publication in a story titled “Harvey Weinstein Is My Monster Too.”


Hayek, who has been married to billionaire François-Henri Pinault since 2009,
says she didn’t come forward initially because she had made “peace” with what happened to her. “I didn’t consider my voice important, nor did I think it would make a difference.” However, she came to realize that while she had confided to loved ones about being “bullied” by the disgraced movie mogul, she had “excluded a couple of details.”
Now 51, Hayek says that when she was victimized — after Weinstein agreed to produce 2002’s Frida via his company Miramax — it was a time when “it was unimaginable for a Mexican actress to aspire to a place in Hollywood. And even though I had proven them wrong, I was still a nobody.”
She was proud of convincing Weinstein to produce her passion project: “All I knew of Harvey at the time was that he had a remarkable intellect, he was a loyal friend, and a family man.” And he made a deal with her to make more movies with Miramax. However, she soon found herself having to repeatedly say “no” to him.

“No to me taking a shower with him,” she wrote. “No to letting him watch me take a shower. No to letting him give me a massage. No to letting a naked friend of his give me a massage. No to letting him give me oral sex. No to my getting naked with another woman. No, no, no, no, no.”
And with every “no” came “Harvey’s Machiavellian rage.” She wrote that “the absurdity of his demands went from getting a furious call in the middle of the night asking me to fire my agent for a fight he was having with him about a different movie” to “physically dragging me out of the opening gala of the Venice Film Festival, which was in honor of Frida, so I could hang out at his private party with him and some women I thought were models but I was told later were high-priced prostitutes.”
Once, “in an act of fury,” she claims Weinstein threatened, “I will kill you, don’t think I can’t.”
After rebuffing him, Hayek wrote that Weinstein tried to squeeze her out of Frida. After he made a list of “impossible tasks with a tight deadline,” she amazed even herself by completing them. However, she continued, “once we started filming, the sexual harassment stopped but the rage escalated.” When Weinstein visited the set, she said he criticized her performance of the fame artist. “He asked everyone in the room to step out except for me. He told me that the only thing I had going for me was my sex appeal and that there was none of that in this movie. So he told me he was going to shut down the film because no one would want to see me in that role.”
The only way he’d let her continue the film, Hayek said, was “if agreed to do a sex scene with another woman. And he demanded full-frontal nudity… It was clear to me he would never let me finish this movie without him having his fantasy one way or another. I had to say yes. By now so many years of my life had gone into this film.”
The day she shot the scene that she said she “believed would save the movie,” she says she “had a nervous breakdown: My body began to shake uncontrollably, my breath was short and I began to cry and cry, unable to stop, as if I were throwing up tears. Since those around me had no knowledge of my history of Harvey, they were very surprised by my struggle that morning. It was not because I would be naked with another woman. It was because I would be naked with her for Harvey Weinstein. But I could not tell them then.”
Hayek says Weinstein continued to giver her trouble during post-production, threatening to send the movie “straight to video” because “it was not good enough for a theatrical release.” Ultimately it was released and “this film that Harvey never wanted to do, gave him a box-office success that no one could have predicted, and despite his lack of support, added six Academy Award nominations to his collection, including Best Actress.”
While Weinstein never offered her a starring role again, “Years later, when I ran into him at an event, he pulled me aside and told me he had stopped smoking and he had had a heart attack,” Hayek wrote. “He said he’d fallen in love and married Georgina Chapman, and that he was a changed man. Finally, he said to me: ‘You did well with Frida; we did a beautiful movie.’ … Harvey would never know how much those words meant to me.”
Hayek concluded her op-ed by thanking people for “listening to our experiences.” She said, “I hope that adding my voice to the chorus of those who are finally speaking out will shed light on why it is so difficult, and why so many of us have waited so long. Men sexually harassed because they could. Women are talking today because, in this new era, we finally can.”
Hayek is one of 90-some women — including fellow actresses Rose McGowan, Gwyneth Paltrow, Asia Argento, and Ashley Judd — who have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct. Through his spokesperson, Weinstein has said, “Any allegations of nonconsensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his
advances.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertainment

BREAKING! G-Worldwide Drags Kiss Daniel To Court (Their Reasons Will Surprise You) Nigerian pop star, Anidugbe Oluwatobiloba Daniel, popularly known as Kiss Daniel, has been dragged to court by the management of G-Worldwide Entertainment, for allegedly breaching the seven years artiste management deal he signed with the record label in 2013.

Donna Karan to Step Down at DKI

One of the most important designers in the history of American fashion, Donna Karan, is stepping down as chief designer of Donna Karan International. Karan, 66, plans to devote greater time to her Urban Zen company and foundation, but will remain a close adviser to DKI under a long-term agreement, according to the company. The designer created a modern system of dressing for legions of successful women, while establishing a tremendous rapport with her customers, which continues to this day. Karan cofounded DKI with her late husband Stephan Weiss and Takiyho Inc. in 1984. In 1996, DKI went public on the New York Stock Exchange, and in 2001, LVMH Moët Hennessey Louis Vuitton paid $243 million for all outstanding shares in DKI, plus $400 million for Gabrielle Studio Inc., the licensor of the Donna Karan trademarks. “LVMH and I have made this decision after much soul-searching,” said Karan on Tuesday. “I have arrived at a point in my life where I need to spend more time

Father is stunned to find shocking pictures of his autistic daughter, 9, locked away and crying on the floor taken by school staff

Concerned father asked to see daughter's school file amid safety concerns, he was shocked to find photos of her crying and being punished Family have now released photos and are calling for an investigation School has been in special measures and has now got new management. The father of an autistic girl has told of his horror after he uncovered disturbing pictures of his daughter in a file at her former school. Alan Evans removed daughter Jasmine, now 11, from Tregolls School in Truro, Cornwall two years ago amid concerns about how staff were treating her.He was able to access the school's records and was shocked to find photos of her shut behind a child gate, crying her eyes out and rolling on the floor.  The father of Jasmine Evans, an autistic girl from Lanner, Cornwall, was shocked to find photos of her crying and locked behind a child gate in her school file after he became concerned she was being badly treated Mr Evans, who works as a nurse, has now